Monday, October 15, 2012

Stone head

Oil on Canvas  9" x 12"
This is a painting of a stone head sculpture from Sarnath dating back to the 3rd century BC. It probably portrays the head of a merchant, evident from the adornments. I actually started this painting before going to India this summer, and decided to finish it a couple of days back. Interestingly,   I saw the original sculpture  ( or perhaps something identically similar) when I visited the National Museum in Delhi. It was a delight to be there and to trace back our roots in the journey of fine-arts. The sculptures of the Gupta period were astonishing!! Someday I hope to paint some of them. 

Thanks for visiting my blog! I have a couple of more paintings finished, waiting to be uploaded. Come back soon for more!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment